Tenby Photos

Photos of Tenby and Pembrokeshire

Browsing Posts in Churches

Caldey Island.The Fog.

Caldey Island. The Fog.
Caldey Island looking very
mysterious within the fog
and calm waters.

 

Caldey Lighthouse

 Caldey Lighthouse. Pembrokeshire.

Medieval Pond and Old Mill.

 Medieval Pond and Old Mill.
 Caldey Island.

Caldey Island Cottages

 Caldey Island Cottages. Pembrokeshire.

The Old School.Caldey Island.

 The Old School. Caldey Island.

Caldey Cottages

Caldey Cottages. Pembrokeshire.

Caldey Monastery.

Caldey Monastery.
The present monks of Caldey
are Cistercians, a stricter
contemplative offshoot
of the Benedictine Order.
A group of monks came from
Scourmont Abbey, Chimay, 
Belgium in 1929 establishing
what is known as a “daughter house”.
In acknowledgement of their
Celtic predecessors, they adopted
St Samson, an early abbot of
Caldey, as their patron saint and rededicated the monastery as the Abbey of Our Lady and St Samson. Their new foundation also received the strong Cistercian tradition which had existed in Wales before the Reformation.

Tenby Night Harbour. Black+White.

Tenby Night Harbour. Black+White.

Tenby Tourist Information Centre   
 01834 842402.

Saundersfoot Tourist Information Centre  
01834 813672.

Milford Haven Tourist Information Centre  
 01437 771818.

Pembroke Tourist Information Centre  
 01437 776499.

Haverfordwest Tourist Information Centre  
01437 763110.

Fishguard Tourist Information Centre  
01437 776636.

Goodwick Tourist Information Centre  
01348 874737.

Newport Tourist Information Centre  
01239 820912.

St Davids Tourist Information Centre  
01437 720392.

Tenby Harbour.Colour.

 
Tenby Harbour. Colour.

Tenby Harbour at low-tide
showing a contrast of reflection
among the fishing boats.
With converted fishermen’s cottages,
georgian houses and central to the
harbour St Julian’s Chapel.
A very picturesque Coastal scene.

Mwnt Chapel. Black+White.

 
Mwnt was a site of an unsuccessful
invasion by Flemings in 1155 and it’s
defeat was long afterwards celebrated
on the First Sunday in January as 
“Sul Coch Y Mwnt”.
The name (Red Sunday) was given in
consequence of the blood shed on that day.
It is reputed that the bones of the
defeated invaders would occasionally
be visable under the sand when
uncovered by windy conditions in the early 20th century. The Church of the Holy Cross (Eglwys y Grog) is an example of a Medieval Sailor’s Chapel of Ease.